Friday, March 23, 2012

Under the mistletoe

While driving to our destination in California earlier this year, friend, Kathleen, pointed out roundish clumps of vegetation entwined in the branches of tall trees. (Said trees were leafless because of the winter season.)

"Did you know these are mistletoe?" she asked. "You're kidding me!" I replied.

Truth be told, I've never given any thought to how mistletoe grows. I've only seen it in small round clumps during the holidays, usually packaged in plastic. I guess I figured it grew and was harvested from a mistletoe tree!

On our recent road trip in California, I saw mistletoe everywhere. As a result, I did a little bit of research....

Mistletoe is actually parasitic in nature. The seed is usually excreted onto a tree branch via a bird's droppings (said bird has eaten the fruit from a mistletoe). The seed germinates and gets its nutrition from the tree. Often considered a pest because it can destroy a tree, most often the branch must be removed from the tree to eradicate the mistletoe that is living rent free - a form of subsidized housing!

Mistletoe does have ecological value as its berries are fodder for birds as well as a protective habitat for nests. Furthermore, the leaves and twigs of the plant are used by herbalists for circulatory and respiratory system problems. Although clinical evidence does not support claims of anti cancer properties, actress Susan Somers used mistletoe extract in lieu of chemotherapy for treating her breast cancer.

So.... how the heck did parasitic mistletoe become a symbol for romance at Christmastime? Truth be told, no one is quite sure. European mistletoe figured predominately in Greek mythology. In pre-Christian cultures, mistletoe was seen as a representation of divine male essence (and thus romance, fertility and vitality). Quoting from Wikipedia, "When Christianity became widespread in Europe after the 3rd century AD, the religious or mystical respect for the mistletoe plant was integrated to an extent into the new religion. In some way that is not presently understood, this may have led to the widespread custom of kissing under the mistletoe plant during the Christmas season. The earliest documented case of kissing under the mistletoe dates from 16th century England, a custom that was apparently very popular at that time."

I'll never think of mistletoe as I once did. The thought of kissing under a parasite holds no romantic appeal to me!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the education! I knew there was a reason I had an aversion to mistletoe!

    ReplyDelete