Monday, February 11, 2013

My chicken saga continues....

A recent Sunday had tragic overtones when a hawk killed one of my two hens.  Little Lou, the survivor, was traumatized and would not venture outside the coop for a day. I either needed to find her a new home or replenish the flock. My girls bring much pleasure so I decided to start afresh...

Each Saturday there is a chicken auction in Chehalis. Although I've watched plenty of auctions on TV I've not experienced one first hand and experienced a bit of trepidation (fear of the unknown) at the thought of actually bidding, etc. But Little Lou needed companions so I pulled on my big girl panties and became a brave girl.

The auction began with eggs - dozens of them.  The auctioneer moved on to the baby chicks. Next came the rabbits. Then chickens, ducks, and even a turkey or two. Raucous describes the noise level.


We had 2.5 year old Cooper with us so as soon as the chickens came up for bid I started bidding despite eyeing a few chickens down the line that I would love in my flock. Next time.

You'd be proud of me, dear reader, holding up my #69 card, nodding quickly when the auctioneer looked my way for confirmation of a bid and giving a slight shake of my head when the bidding went too high. Within minutes I discovered that an auction can be quite addictive.  With heart pounding and adrenaline rushing, I felt The Power!

I came home with this dandy, Rhode Island Red rooster (he'll help protect the girls). I'll name him Randy for obvious reasons. Three Gold laced Wyandotes and this little buff colored hen, breed yet unknown, complete the flock.






 


Alas. Little Lou does NOT appreciate her new roommates and holds herself aloof. Here are the newest members of the flock crowded together in one corner of the coop while roosting at night. Little Lou chooses to roost alone on the other side of the coop. This in spite of a long roosting perch that would hold all of them.

Crazy chickens.....

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you are a brave girl! An auction no less! You got some pretty fine chickens there! Good luck with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the names; Randy and Little Lou! Brilliant. What are the rest of their names though? A name says a lot about a chicken...

    ReplyDelete