Monday, April 19, 2010

Old friends are good friends


During my single days in Anchorage, AK in the late 70's & early 80's, I met some young girls who, 30 years later, I count as my dearest friends. By the mid 80's we were marrying and going our divergent ways, separated by distance, but bonded by similarities.

15 years ago, we all met in Colorado and thus began a regular habit of getting together once every couple of years. One year we flew to Karry's horse ranch in Arkansas. Another year found us here in Olympia at my home. We've been to Laurie's home in CA twice. Last year we stayed in Fauntleroy near Seattle. This year we met in warm, sunny Scottsdale, AZ.

Our time together is filled with laughter and tears. We discuss child rearing (now involving our young, adult children), our husbands, religion, business ownership, nutrition, sex, gardening, playing, aging, etc. etc. No subject is off limits. We talk, shop, eat then eat again. We stay up too late and, not able to sleep in, complain about not sleeping enough yet stay up even later the next night!

I return home exhausted but energized, rejuvenated & ready to tackle my own 'stuff' with renewed vigor & determination. These women sharpen my purpose and help deepen my character. They are truly my soul sisters and I owe each one of them gratitude for showing up and being present in my journey through life.

2 comments:

  1. As you always say "woman need woman" and that is the WHOLE truth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those girl outings! Sounds like a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete