Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sweetness


Nick, Courtney and 2-week-old Cooper arrived last evening for Cooper's first overnight stay at Grandpa & Grandma's house.

That Nick & Courtney want us to be actively involved in Cooper's life is both a gift and a compliment.

They generously allowed Grandma Sue to hold (hog) Cooper all evening long! I eagerly volunteered to stay up late for Cooper's last feeding before he settled in for the night and they wandered off to bed around 10:30.

As I rocked and cuddled my sleeping grandson, I cupped his tiny feet and caressed his tender skin. He gripped my finger while I breathed in his sweet, baby smell. He emitted gentle baby sounds and amused me with facial contortions. Rumblings would occur in his nether regions and twice I changed his diaper. For over an hour I simply rocked and basked in his innocent perfection.

I have no doubt that as a young, new mother, I spent time marveling at the beauty of my babies. But paired with that awe was the realization of the enormity of the unfamiliar task of parenting that lay ahead of me. Those early days were fraught with a tinge of anxiety - am I doing this right? Pureed peas or yellow squash? Have I breast fed long enough? Does it really matter if she pairs her polka dotted tee shirt with a striped skirt?

Last night, as I held that precious baby I had no anxiety whatsoever. I do not have to make decisions involving his future. My role is to simply give this child my unconditional love.

That I can do.

1 comment: