Monday, May 28, 2012

A story with a happy ending.



In the storage business the contents of a foreclosed unit are auctioned off when a tenant fails to pay rent. Occasionally a unit contains nothing of value as we experienced recently. This unit contained a partial pool table, an unusual buffet table with parts missing, a broken metal desk and this vintage 1903 upright piano painted green sans wheels.

The regal  piano with its ornate exterior and strong, melodious sound won my heart. If I did not already own a piano, it would be gracing my living room.

Not knowing the value (if any) of the piano, I contacted a piano technician who gave me a quick 2 minute appraisal. The first words out of his mouth were, "I don't even consider (buying) a piano that has been painted."  He ascertained that this piano had been worked on at one time and, with a good tune-up, still had some life left in it. He suggested I place an ad on Craigs list for $200 OBO. I did and but not receive even one inquiry.

Our good friend Phil offered to take it. I assumed that he would dismantle it, making a bit of cash off its scrap value.

But no, a man after my own heart who allows sentimentality to govern his actions, he left the piano in the back of his truck, parked in his driveway, with a large sign saying, "Free to a good home".

And this is where the story gets good.

A sheriff drove by, read the sign, and stopped to inquire about the particulars. He excitedly phoned his good friend who just so happens to be the music teacher at Rochester High School which just so happens to need a piano. Soon the music teacher arrived on scene and began playing the piano in the back of Phil's truck. Before long, Phil and the piano are heading to the high school followed by the sheriff and music teacher.

This lovely, 100 + year old  piano will continue sharing its lovely tones for years to come.
 




3 comments:

  1. Thank you Susan,I had a tears in my eyes, I wish you could have seen Him, it was like He won he Lotto. He wanted the teacher to get the BEST look at the piano, so he made sure it wa all stap free, and nothing was in his way. As the teacher jumped into the back of the truck, Phil had to show him everything. If I had my camcorder with me, Iwould have filmed it, Phil was so HAPPY to deliver it, and He told me waiting for them where a few high school football player. They did all the work, and Thank Phil many times. Phil is my True Soul mate. Love him so much.Thank you Susan and Glynn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that story! Thank you for putting a bright spot in my day! I wish I had been there to see them playing the piano in the back of the truck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's an awesome story!

    ReplyDelete