Friday, November 16, 2012

Maid service

source: 123rf.com

A recent blog post from a young military wife living in Afghanistan got me to thinking. 

It's customary for the wives to hire a maid who stops by the house three times a week for an hour to 'straighten it up'. The writer eventually let her maid go because she felt too much 'American guilt' for hiring someone to do what she could easily do each day.

American guilt. Hmmmmm..... 
 
For the past five years, Hazel arrives at my house, twice monthly, to clean it. Although a housekeeper is a bit different than a maid, please know I feel NO GUILT WHATSOVER for her services! This is Hazel's livelihood. It pays her rent and puts food on her table. 

I work outside the home and choose not to spend one of my non work days cleaning my large home. I can afford Hazel's services an, in a very small way, I am contributing to the local economy.

Hiring a lawn service, a personal trainer, having one's oil changed at Jiffy Lube, hiring a painting contractor... the list of professionals who do our work for us is long.

Now, if only I had the wherewithal to hire a personal chef, I'd invite you all to dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment