Sunday, March 17, 2013

Chicken fricasse

I'm still trending upward on the chicken raising learning curve.

I learned that introducing a rooster to the flock will help protect the hens from predators.

I learned (the hard way) that the Rhode Island Red rooster is notoriously aggressive.

courtesy of: farm6.staticflickr.com


I learned (the hard way) that carrying a shiny pan into the coop to treat my flock to leftover steel cut oats sends a message of danger: predator to the pea-sized brain of said Rhode Island Red rooster causing him to attack the back of my legs with a powerful WHOMP, causing me to drop the pan resulting in another powerful WHOMP.

My cantalope-sized brain instinctually tells me to 'let him know who's boss'  resulting in an aggressive stance on my part causing yet again one more WHOMP on the back of my legs.

Sigh.

As I walk back to the house, my tail between my legs, my mind is already creating the ad that will appear on Craigslist:  Aggressive rooster for sale. Will pay you to dispose of. 

courtesy of: l.yimg.com
While my racing heart calms, I google my latest chicken challenge and discover that although the RIR rooster is often aggressive, said aggressions manifests itself as he reaches adulthood. Since 'Randy' just recently found his voice, a rather pathetic cock-a-doodle, I realize he's nothing but a cocky, young dandy, strutting his stuff amongst his harem.

The article informs that bringing unusual items into the coop - like a shiny pan - causes his protective radar to ping.

It's all good.

To curb said aggression, one can hold the rooster in the crook of ones arm 10 minutes a day for one week. This allows rooster to learn that I, the ultimate coop master, am safe.

courtesy of:fellowshipofminds.files.wordpress.com
Stay tuned for more chicken raising adventures. Something tells me I'm in for a wild ride.

courtesy of: arcatapet.com

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the laugh! I'm glad you weren't seriously injured. If he's not afraid to attack you, surely a racoon or possum will be nothing to him. I'm looking forward to the next installment. Be sure your husband is standing by with a camera when you are cradling that bad boy in your arms for 10 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. remember what happened last time you posted a rooster on craigslist...

    ReplyDelete