Monday, October 25, 2010

Breast cancer awareness


I am prepared to be plastered with ripe tomatoes or have my image burned in effigy for expressing the following opinion.

'Enough already with the pink!'

October is breast cancer awareness month so pink is everywhere, from the athletic shoes worn by NFL football players to celebrity signatures, written in pink, supporting the awareness campaign.

I am not mocking (nor am I insensitive to) the plight of breast cancer victims. Cancer of any kind can be a devastating diagnosis and the journey to wellness is fraught with significant challenges.

Treating the disease, and the research associated with it, has become big business. If a cure were found, facilities would close, organizations fold, and researchers would be looking for work.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I do not think that the proceeds raised from purchasing a pink water bottle are going to prevent cancer from ravaging the cells in my body. How about we funnel a portion of the billions of dollars used for researching a cure to ways in which we can prevent the cancer from attacking in the first place?

2 comments:

  1. I know, I agree with you. All that pink stuff! even kitchen appliances! But, then I see my sister likes to buy the pink, and the magnet for her car, and her kids buy the pink goodies, and I see that if it makes her feel good and supported then its ok with me. And so I who have never bought a pink ribbon item, posted the pink ribbon background on my blog, for my sister. And she noticed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy - You bring up a valid point: those who are experiencing breast cancer may feel a sense of support when they see someone sporting 'the pink'....

    ReplyDelete