Sunday, September 25, 2011

Gazing upward

It's late.... actually, it's early; 3:39 a.m. and I cannot sleep. An annoying little voice has been whispering in my head, "It's too early to get up; go back to sleep". I finally give myself permission to surrender to sleeplessness and quietly leave the bedroom.

I step outside onto the deck and look up. A fingernail moon hangs in the sky swirled with wispy clouds. Here and there, stars are visible.

The darkness of the wee morning hours wraps around me like a soft quilt. Moisture transfers from the chair to my fuzzy pink robe as I soak in the quietness. All is still.

I gaze upward while breathing deeply and invite the calmness in. My mind soothes and soon I'm realizing (again) how habitually I allow the events and cares of life to rob me of the kinship I share with this night sky/universe.

Perhaps I couldn't sleep because I needed this reminder to look up, rather than down and straight ahead. It gives me a certain kind of knowing - one of limitless possibility and infinite connection.

(source: intent.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment