Friday, December 30, 2011

No dieting for me

Would I like less girth on my overall frame? Would my health benefit if I weighed less? Absolutely. But I stubbornly REFUSE to succumb to the diet mentality that overtakes human kind this time of year.

Prompted by a Ted Talk by Melissa Rankin, MD, I felt a tension give way in my psyche. Rather than beat myself up and torture my amazing body with deprivation, starvation & crazed workouts, I am choosing to eat on purpose. Glynn and I cleaned out the cupboards. We will eat minimally processed, whole foods. We will drink plenty of purified water. We are moving our bodies in a moderate vs. Nazi approach. We choose to honor our bodies by giving them gentle care vs. harsh treatment.



We are also doing this 'bloat' cleanse. Not the best tasting concoction around but it's one way to make sure one is drinking enough water!

'Women Food and God' by Geneen Roth has been on my reading list for over a year. It made it to the top of my reading pile and it's blowing my mind wide open. (Interestingly, books find their way to the top of the pile when I'm ready to read them.) I didn't think I fit the description of an emotional eater. I don't hide food. I don't binge eat.... Yet with Geneen's gentle guidance I realize that when I have the inclination to bolt to avoid a situation or a painful reality, I eat. I highly recommend this book if you want to find your way out of the maze of emotional eating.

In the spirit of starting afresh in a new year, I'll share some recent art journal creations:


Happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment