Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Those 'aha' moments

While filling out paperwork for an event last week, I had an 'ouch' moment.

Often we experience 'aha' moments, their gentle content usually coaxing a change in mood or perspective.

Sadly, my moment was jarring and gritty, much like a harsh slap-alongside-the-head.

It was all about excuses.

At this event, we were given an itinerary and our full involvement was requested. We initialed our consent and acknowledged that, without excuse, we would be on time and prepared.

For some reason this simple task showed me how often I use excuses to avoid engaging in life.

Have you ever been on the sidelines of an activity, wishing you had the self confidence and gumption to jump in? While cruising a few years ago, passengers were frolicking and dancing to Reggae tunes under a moonlit sky. Imagine the passengers dancing on the lido deck with drink in hand. No fancy 'Dancing with the Stars' footwork going on there! Yet my excuse of not knowing how to dance held me back from joining in.

How often do we say, "I'm too busy", "I'm too fat", "I was mistreated as a child", or "I don't have any friends"?

Or, couched in different language but still an excuse:

"If only I had more money I'd take that trip with you."
"If only I had more time I'd be a successful ___________."
"If I knew my soul's purpose then I'd be working at a job I love."

The truth of the matter is the time I have is the time I have. The money I have (and spend) is the money I have. The body I feed and exercise (or not) is the body I have. The activities I choose (or not) are the activities I involve myself in.

Life is like an event. If it begins at 8 am, be present and prepared at that hour without excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment