Thursday, September 27, 2012

50's style

I have been enjoying (and marveling) over the items for sale in this 1957 Montgomery Ward catalog.  Sears and Montgomery Ward catalogs were present in my house during my growing up years. I remember sitting on the couch with sister, Debbie, while perusing the girls section saying, 'If you had to wear an outfit on this page, which would you choose?' And oh, happy day when the Christmas catalog arrived each winter!

 I love these dresses. Sadly, our culture has lost its feminine edge.

I suppose if I managed to squirm into one of these restrictive looking girdles, even I could sport a tiny waistline!I feel myself gasping for breath just thinking about it.


 The catalog features fabric for sale, luggage, tools and even siding for one's home. I miss leafing through a catalog. Somehow, internet shopping isn't quite the same.

 Summer finds me outside in the garden making art in my flower beds. Now that fall is here, I'll bring my art back inside. First step - restoring some sense of order to my messy studio space.  Newly acquired what-nots accumulated in a pile on my desk....

I created this page in my art journal with vintage wallpaper scraps - a new favorite because of the texture of the scraps.

 
I cringe to even say it but the holidays are approaching and I have gifts to make.  Focus, Susan, focus!

1 comment:

  1. Fun! Thanks for the peek into your "messy" art space. A general tutorial on your art would be interesting to see. love all those layers!

    ReplyDelete