Sunday, September 2, 2012

I need a miracle

photo courtesy of cinemaseekers.com

We all know the uncomfortable feeling of being in our car while idling next to a homeless(?) man or woman begging for a handout at an intersection.  In a millisecond, ones eyes furtively access the situation while ones brain begins making a judgment call. "He can't be that needy if he can afford cigarettes" or "She's young. Surely she could get a job flipping hamburgers somewhere."

These days I force myself to make eye contact, if possible, and give a smile. Regardless of his situation, the homeless (?) person standing too close for comfort is a human being.

Their tattered, cardboard signs all read the same: "Homeless/no job/no food/no money". Except for the sign I saw yesterday which simply read, "I need a miracle."

I gave the man a smile then stared straight ahead while contemplating the meaning of his words. Does he need a miracle because substance abuse has shattered his life leaving him destitute? Or is he one of millions who lost his job in this challenging economy and cannot find a new one? Does he hope for a miracle because the future looks grim and he sees no hope of better circumstances?

In simpler times I could have invited him out for coffee and asked him to share his story.  Instead, I drove on by with a heart full of turmoil.

His simple proclamation, 'I need a miracle' is an emotional plea felt by many in light of the challenges not only in America but throughout the world. A stalled economy, climate change, non-ending wars, resource depletion, poor academics, bi-partisan bickering in politics, the rise of obesity, famine, cruelty to animals, lack of respect - the list grows longer as I grow older. 

As I endure the necessary but annoying presidential election season I wish I had the nerve to stand on a street corner holding my own sign that would read  'BE THE MIRACLE'. Instead of placing hope in a mortal human being who is a puppet for an ideology, what if we each did what we could to change our world? 

How about supporting your local economy (and small business owners) by purchasing products made in your community or state? Be a conscientious consumer of our natural resources. Quit eating processed, junk foods to stay healthy. Become involved in your child's education. Spay or neuter your pet. Say 'please' and 'thank you' to others thus being an example to the next generation. Quit looking to our government for hand-outs.  Get off your tush and become productive! Wake up, America! Quit living by default.

I'm not stupid. I know that the challenges we face are more complicated than wishing someone a nice day. But I also believe that small changes can result in a happier life for all.  

So... while wishing each other love, light and happiness, pet your cat, walk your dog and head out to the local farmer's market.

 

2 comments:

  1. Well said, sister! Thanks for expressing what I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well put! I too have the same feelings when I see someone standing with a sign, with a bit of sadness for them too. There is a gentleman who stands on a street corner in Lake Oswego and I love what he has written on his sign: "Anything helps, even a smile." As I sit at the stop light I see him nod his head to the cars in front of me and they pass him and give him a smile. I have wanted to bring a meal to him - his sign is amazing. Anyone can give a smile and Everyone deserves to receive a smile from the elderly, disabled, in shape, not in shape, man, woman, child, baby, homeless, millionaire ... a smile is such a wonderful gift. I hope to use mine more often this week! Thanks for your post! :)

    ReplyDelete