Saturday, September 15, 2012

Summer happenings

No, this isn't Harvey in a death pose! Glynn's summer long project has been replacing our backyard deck. Harvey enjoyed the cool concrete on a hot day (and needed a bath afterward!)


Photo courtesy of flickriver.com

Having never driven across Chinook Pass, Glynn and I did just that last month. The alpine flowers near Tipsoo Lake with Mt Rainer as a backdrop were breathtaking.  We spent the night in Yakima in the upstairs turret room of the historic Rosedell Bed and Breakfast.








Late July found us in Oregon for our annual family time in Sisters. Cooper loved hose time, pool time and cousin time.



 Last week found us in Colorado Springs visiting Stephanie and Matt. The Springs sits at 6500 ft in elevation. We feel it when we climb stairs or walk up hills. (When Matt first arrived at Ft. Carson in the Army years ago, he was told it takes two months to acclimate to the altitude.)

We rode a cog train up the the 14,100 ft level on Pikes Peak. Once the train reaches the top, it only stays on the summit for 40 minutes due to challenges one could experience with the altitude. Pikes Peak is a famous hiking destination and as I was dizzily walking around the summit I saw many hikers coming up the mountain. It takes around 7 to 10 hours to hike the trail, one way. Most purchase a ride down the trail on the train.  The view is tremendous and I felt a special bond with John Denver and his song, Rocky Mountain High!

                               Pikes Peak, Glynn's nemesis, juts up in the middle of this picture. 

We all developed slight headaches as a result of our mountain climbing. Glynn became quite ill that evening due to altitude sickness and by bedtime I had a roaring headache. I have since taken mountain climbing OFF my bucket list of things to do before I die! 

I know. The next photo is random. I was sitting in the back seat after Steph bought a witch hat to spruce up for a Halloween costume.  Amusing.
 


My chicken flock is reduced to two girls. Big Momma had what appeared to be a tumor near her vent. While we were gone friend Shari found her dead, no obvious trauma except some exposed innards. Apparently chickens get cancer, too. RIP Big Momma. I'm heading to Lattins Cider Mill this morning to buy two more girls.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you guys visited. After you were gone and I felt better, I began thinking of all the things we should have done and didn't. I regret that. But I had fun and you really can't put an amount on having your mom nearby when you are sick!

    ReplyDelete