Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A child's perception

First of all, my disclaimer. I was not deprived as a child! I had all I needed plus extra thrown in for good measure...

The following items represent wealth.... at least in my childhood brain:

 

*hood ornament on a car
*push button locks on car
*push button windows on car
*a TV remote
*having more than one TV in one's home
*home with a large entryway
*a bedroom dresser light with wooden,         storybook figures
*showing up on first day of school with largest box of Crayola crayons
*not sharing a bedroom
*airplane travel for family vacations
*an above ground pool (obviously an in-the-ground pool was out-of-the-question)
*owning more than one swimsuit at a time
*owning a bike with more than one speed...

The list goes on and in my adult mind it's both amusing and amazing because so many of these items are not only attainable in our present day, socioeconomic culture but are dwarfed by far more extravagant indulges.

Although a bit dusty and needing a some repairs, I was delighted to stumble upon one of the above items at a garage sale. I bought it for $2, cleaned it, made a new lampshade and it may grace soon-to-be-born grandson Landon's room. The honey pot houses a hurdy gurdy that plays 'Rock a bye Baby'. The lamp itself is nothing fancy and I believe my delight in it stems from the desire I had as a child to have one sitting on my bedroom dresser. I would have been rich indeed!!!



I made this flannel and minky quilt for Landon, too, with enough leftover fabric for a tag blanket.



Come soon, little Landon!




1 comment:

  1. Sweet! Its so much fun preparing for a new baby. I love your tag blanket. Is baby due soon?

    ReplyDelete