Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Would you PLEASE answer your cell phone?!

This morning, as I pulled my cell phone from my purse, I saw that I missed 5 calls from my daughter on Saturday.

I sigh. Partly from remorse. But mostly from frustration for cell phone usage is a topic which blatantly reveals the generational gap between my kids and I.

Days will go by in which my cell phone remains on yet untouched in its pocket in my purse. Of course I answer it if I hear it ring. It's when I'm in the yard gardening, walking Otis, or even sitting out on the back deck without thinking to take my cell phone with me that I get into trouble. I become UNREACHABLE! (doomsday music sounds inserted here)

Apparently, this is inexcusable behavior for all human species, regardless of age or race or whether one even has limbs available to operate a phone.

I do not minimize the frustration of not being able to reach someone via phone when there is urgent business to discuss.  My kids ask me, 'why have a cell phone if you don't use it?' My argumentative response is that I do use it, when needed.  I simply choose not to treat it as a modern appendage, hanging from my belt or residing in my pocket 24/7.

Glynn and I discuss the possibility of surrendering our land line (which rarely rings anymore) and using our cells phones only as a means of contact.  Should this happen necessity will force me to change the location of my cell phone habitat.

Until that time, I remain (often) out of earshot range of my cell phone.

2 comments:

  1. Just think, it wasn't too long ago that no one had cell phones, or if they did, they were those big brick things from the 80's! It blows me away and i think it's different for those of us who didn't grow up with them! Jason and I too, are considering dumping our land line as the only people who call it are survey people. But for now, I like knowing I still have the land line b/c I don't keep my cell with me all the time either. There's something comforting about knowing the land line will ring if there's an emergency!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definately a blessing and a curse!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete