Saturday, February 19, 2011

All in a day's work

TIMOTHY A. CLARY/AFP/Getty Images

My huge love for dogs had my mouth smiling as I watched parts of the 2011 Westminster Dog Show this week.

Hickory, a Scottish deer hound won the best in show. A commentator said that it's not uncommon for $1 million to be invested in the dog who wins this coveted title.

TIMOTHY A. CLARY/AFP/Getty Images

Here are Parker and Sparky, both standard poodles. Can you imagine the time spent on their high maintenance coiffs?

TIMOTHY A. CLARY/AFP/Getty Images

AP Photo/Mary Altaffer

This is a Puli. I wonder if his coat is heavy?

TIMOTHY A. CLARY/AFP/Getty Images

An English cocker spaniel. He looks sad. I tell myself that these dogs have known no other life than the show ring so what he is experiencing is 'all in a day's work'. I just hope he receives plenty of pampering during his spare time.

AP Photo/Jeff Christensen
Seeing the love between the dogs and their handlers makes my heart happy.

TIMOTHY A. CLARY/AFP/Getty Images
The dog show circuit involves a whole different subculture than the one I know.

I remind Otis (who most certainly would win awards should he enter the show ring) that he is very lucky to have his perfect, low stress life.

No comments:

Post a Comment