Thursday, March 3, 2011

daffodils

"Daffodils,
That come before the swallow dares, and take
The winds of March with beauty."

~ William Shakespeare

Last week's snowstorm(s) covered my dwarf daffodils whose buds were on verge of bursting open. I thought to rescue them from their blanket of snow but our low teen temperatures seemed like a crueler fate so I let them be. The snow is gone now and once again, they are perky and ready to show off their happy exuberance.

I've always wanted to attend the Northwest Flower and Garden Show in Seattle but rumors of packed attendance have kept me away. Apparently each display is crowded with bodies one dozen deep making it difficult to appreciate the displays. After seeing pictures of this year's displays, I think I'll sharpen my elbows, put on my brave girl panties and attend next year's show.


photo taken by Michael Walmsley

How impressive is this display by a 17 years old girl from Gig Harbor? Courtney Goetz's theme was re-purposing, recycling and re-characterizing materials.

This is a display from the 2009 show.

Usually by mid-February we hear the raucous chorus of the green tree frogs as they attempt to woo a mate. They've been hibernating all winter, burrowed down in the mud. (I don't know about you but I wouldn't feel overly amorous if, on a blind date, I meet up with a man who hasn't bothered to clean up after wrestling timber all day.) I've been known to sleep with the window opened a crack so I can fall asleep to the lovely sound.

Sadly, the frogs haven't ventured forth from the mud due to our frigid temperatures.

The frogs and I agree. Spring can arrive anytime!

1 comment: