Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Be an original

While reconnecting with a friend last week, I toured her yard and acreage having not seen it since they began a huge remodel years ago. Catherine is an attorney so I wasn't at all surprised when she she identified her plants, down to the actual cultivar! What I wasn't prepared for was her passion, drive and hard, physical work in creating her landscape. She desired expressive movement and continuity and has successfully and beautifully created an incredible space.

As I gazed upon Catherine's yard, one with a plan and purpose, I felt the stirrings of unrest begin within my belly. "My yard is just a hodge-podge of flowers stuck in the ground with no plan in mind. Soon, I was thinking, "Oh my goodness! I have to change my yard!"

Thankfully, as I was relating all this to Kathleen and Courtney the next day, each sputtered, "but, I love your yard!"


Thank you, girls, for helping me remember what I often easily forget; that I am an individual with unique, one-of-a-kind talents and gifts. Life isn't a contest to see who can have the biggest or prettiest or most interesting ________. We are here to share our gifts and, in doing so, honor ourselves in the process.

I made an entry in my art journal to help me remember the next time I forget because, unfortunately, this comparing myself with others happens on a much too regular basis....


2 comments:

  1. Oh yeah! aren't we all like that! So glad you came to your senses before you did something rash! Love your little birdies - is that a punch? Each one looks individually cut out!Adorable.

    ReplyDelete