Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pumpkin love


Do not allow the above picture of these darling cherubs posing with their pumpkins to be your focus. Instead, please draw your attention to the tiny pumpkin resting at Aunt Jemima's feet. I'm sad to admit that this is the one and only pumpkin grown in my garden this year.

I planted two pumpkin plants mid June. Due to an excessive amount of spring and early summer rainfall, coupled with cooler than normal temperatures, the pumpkin plants languished all summer long. I would give them a cursory glance every now and then say to myself, 'how pathetic'.

On Sunday, as I ripped a plant out of the ground to add to my compost pile, I saw a minuscule flash of orange. There in my palm rested a shiny, radiant pygmy pumpkin.

What can I say?

Good for you, Little Pumpkin. Your perseverance in the face of questionable odds is noteworthy.

1 comment:

  1. Cute! are you going to make an itty bitty pie?

    ReplyDelete