Sunday, August 1, 2010

The 'Barn House' sale


On Saturday, my grand husband took me to Battle Ground, WA for the much anticipated Barn House sale. Not only were 'the boys' selling their wares but they invited two dozen vendors to set up shop as well.

This was much more than an impromptu flea market. All the vendors involved worked hard to create ambiance in their displays. It wasn't merely antiques or junk for sale, it was art!

When I first arrived, I wanted to walk through the whole venue before making any purchases. WRONG thing to do! When I returned to buy a couple of treasures I had spied, there were gone. I did find an old wire basket for the handlebars of my garden bicycle. Also, a darling birdcage which I will find a spot for somewhere in my home. I spotted many more treasures but I'm learning to temper my crazy desire to have-it-all with the realization that I need room to display such treasures.

The venue was a bit crowded but no one seemed perturbed with bumps from one another. We were all too engrossed in stepping into such a junk-art heaven!

From there, we went into the Sellwood neighborhood of Portland for, you guessed it, more antiques and junk stores. I found the headboard of a small, white iron bed frame (rusty and chipped - just the way I like it) which I will use somewhere in my garden.


I also visited the store 'Coco and Toulouse go shopping' and found it delightfully full of all things girlish.

Not wanting to spend the $80 to $100 on a motel room, Glynn did his due diligence and found a small mom and pop motor inn in Milwaukie (near Sellwood) which we stayed at for $52/night. It was old but clean and charming in a vintage sort of way. Not only do we save money by patronizing these small motels but we contribute money to the local economy in the process.

Leaving town, even for an overnight stay, always helps Glynn and I 'blow the stink off' (Glynn's words, not mine) and realign our perspectives about life in general. We both decided we need to get-out-of-town more often.....

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a great weekend! i've wanted to visit coco & toulouse which I read about online... looks enchanting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am envious! That sounds like a fabulous way to spend a weekend! I'm glad Glynn doesn't mind going with you. (Nice to have someone to carry all the stuff).

    ReplyDelete