Sunday, August 29, 2010

Glynn's birthday weekend


It was a lemon meringue kind of weekend. (Glynn's birthday dessert choice.)

Since it was his birthday I refrained from a stare of disapproval when he ordered a piece of mud pie for dessert. Look at the size of what was delivered to our table on Friday night. How ridiculous is that? It easily could have fed 6 people! Needless to say, we brought it home (it was frozen hard) and it awaits nibbling at a future date.

Chloe and Sophie came for a weekend stay. Our first adventure was The Children's Museum. Spending time there on a Saturday morning is not for the faint of heart. Scores of loud, excited children clamor on and around the play areas, vying for position while shrilling loudly, 'MOM, LOOK AT ME!' During our 2 hours of play, there were only 5 other children in attendance. I assume it's because the Museum's 'Sand in the City' event was going on downtown. It was delightfully fun!



That evening, Glynn smoked a brisket and we invited friends over for dinner. Sophie helped Uncle Glynn open his birthday gifts.


We had our usual tea party. I made sure the girls poised their pinkies properly while sipping their tea.

While looking through my cedar chest for old Barbie clothes, I found this party dress of mine. I think mom bought it for my 6th birthday party! Sophie, who will be six in October, modeled it for me. Sadly, I don't think these frilly organza-type party dresses are made any longer.

Next we headed back downtown to experience the 'Sand in the City' event. Truckloads of sand are trucked in and teams build sand creations. As always, I'm amazed at the patience and attention to detail these creations entail. I only snapped a couple of pictures of parts of a team's creation. The first was labeled 'extreme camping adventures'. The second involves 2 snowmen mourning the loss of a melted snowman.


This evening, having put my house back together, I'm relaxing and watching the clock, waiting for bedtime. Auntie Sue is tired after a busy weekend!


3 comments:

  1. The girls had a blast - thanks for having them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too much fun! Love seeing Sophie in your very own party dress! And the teapot for the tea party looks intriguing - a Hall??? I've been to the Hands On Museum with little ones - you are right - not for the faint of heart!!! And, finally, Glynn and his pie - priceless! Thanks for sharing your beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophie appears to be flipping off the camera.

    ReplyDelete