Thursday, April 14, 2011

Gratitude

Hmmmm.... Perhaps I need to increase my gratitude factor as I seem to be forgetting my weekly gratitude post.

Around this time of year, most of us in the PNW develop an arch nemesis: the rain. Much like the neighbor in the cul-de-sac who lives like a pig & lets his young children run amok (yet smiles widely and waves furiously as he drives by and is the best 'neighborhood watch' a person could ever want) the rain moves in around late October. We expect it and drop phrases like, 'without the rain we wouldn't live in this virtual green paradise'.

By March, we are afraid to walk across our lawns out of fear of sinking into a quagmire of soggy topsoil. We keep our fingers crossed that March 'will come in like a lion and out like a lamb'...

.... so we can enjoy the bright spring days of April, vibrant with color from early blooming azaleas, camellias, daffodils, tulips, and the like.

So, rather than grouse about the continual rain and colder than normal temperatures, I do declare to be grateful for the wet stuff. My niece living in Midland, TX says they have not received rain there in over 7 months. My daughter in Colorado Springs claims they are in a drought and desperately need rain to dampen the earth ahead of fire season.

It's really all about perception and attitude. I am re-posting the following as a reminder that attitude adjustments really do help make life easier to navigate.

'There once was a woman who woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and noticed she had only three hairs on her head. "Well", she said. "I think I'll braid my hair today." So she did and had a wonderful day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that she had only two hairs on her head.
"H-M-M-M", she said. "I think I'll part my hair down the middle today." So she did and had a grand day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed she had only one hair on her head. "Well", she said. "Today I'm going to wear my hair in a pony tail." So she did and had a fun, fun day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that there wasn't a single hair on her head.
"Yeah!", she exclaimed. "I don't have to fix my hair today!"'

Publish Post

No comments:

Post a Comment