Friday, April 29, 2011

I'll tip my hat to the royal couple

Do you think I could gain access to the royal festivities if I wore this hat?

Years ago (back in my single days) my now sister-in-law, Elda, good friend, Donna, and I went on a whirlwind 5 country, 3 week European vacation.

Diana Spencer was to wed Prince Charles the next year. I hoped to bump into Charles while in London and attempt to dissuade him from his choice of bride. Surely, once he met me, a mere commoner, he would recognize my charms and choose me as his bride instead. His only appeal? His royal status meant I would be QUEEN!

The pomp & circumstance of this great event made me want to look at the pictures of our trip.

This one of the famous guards. Like most tourists, we tried our hardest to make him alter his non-expression. We failed.

Instead, we found a friend, a smiling 'Bobbie' who was happy to pose with us in front of Windsor Castle.


I have other boring pictures; the changing of the guard, Big Ben, Parliament, the Tower of London. I was only 20 then and hitting the major tourist attractions somehow equated success in my travels. Today, were I to make the same trip, my photos would be of cobblestone streets, narrow winding alleyways leading to quaint shops, expression on the faces of the locals, ethnic cuisine, etc.

I absolutely LOVED my time in England so today's royal wedding makes me want all things British.

I just might wear my hat all day.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Were you up at 3:00 a.m. watching it live? (me neither!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud to say we are related by blood. I just wish it were blue blood. *Sigh.

    ReplyDelete