Thursday, April 28, 2011

A 1950's housewife (with weekly gratitude snuck in)

Recently I was given a reprint of an article dated 5/13/1955 published in Housekeeping Monthly. The article is titled, 'The good wife's guide' and outlines a series of tips intended to please one's husband.

It is obvious that these tips were written during a time when women worked in the home as a housewife and mother. Many of the tips are practical such as:

"Have dinner ready. Plan ahead.... to have a delicious meal ready, on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs."


Or, "Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking." (I've always contended that no husband wants to arrive home from work & find his wife in a grungy pair of sweatpants with stained tee shirt to match. But I draw the line at the ribbon...)

Or, "Be happy to see him."


Some of the tips, however, are way off-kilter for this modern day woman.

"Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours." (say what?)

Or, "Make the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner or other places of entertainment without you," (like titty bars?) or, "don't complain if he's late home for dinner of even if he stays out all night," or, "don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him."

Feeling a slow burn yet?

And, the best for last: "A good wife always knows her place."

My mom began her career as a housewife in 1954. Although cultural expectations were in place which she likely did not recognize nor question at the time, I do not sense that her memories of those early years of wifedom & motherhood contain bitterness about the lack of opportunity women had in pursuing their dreams. In recent years, however, she has mentioned often how lucky I am to have the opportunities and freedom to chart my own course in life.

I feel blessed to have been a stay-at-home wife and mother when my children were young. Although I did not resemble the housewife of the 50's (who cooks a turkey in 3" heels?), I shared and continue to share the same desire to make my home a peaceful haven for my husband and children.

We women have come a long way in 60 years... along with many of our menfolk who willingly claim joint custody of household chores and cooking duties.

Although I love the crisp looking dresses, perky boobs & coiffed hairdos of the 50's housewife, I'm grateful to be living in the 21st century!

5 comments:

  1. That article HAD to be written by a man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read those excerpts to Matt. His rather disgusted response was "you have never done any of that." Apparently I have some work to do. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still offended by that ancient article...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats the best thing ive ever seen...women look best in the kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Traditional women are still exist, but not in usa. Why to marry usa women.

    ReplyDelete