Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Weekly gratitude

A phone conversation I had at work today:

She: 'I need a storage unit. Do you have any available?'
Me: 'Yes, we do. Do you know what size you need?'
She: .....Long sigh.... 'I really don't. I'm flying to WA tomorrow because my mother has died. My brother and I need to clear out her home. We simply cannot face going through her possessions when our emotions are so raw so we'll just store her stuff for now.' (By now she's crying while apol0gizing.)

As she fought to regain control of herself, I expressed my condolences and started asking her basic questions to help us zero in on a unit size. I gave her a recommendation for a couple of movers and shared some tips to help in packing and storing household items.

Ten minutes later, I could hear a smile in her voice and she thanked me profusely for my understanding and help. (She also said she had no need to call other facilities because my kindness made her decide to rent storage space from me.)

I'm not sharing this for a pat on the back or recognition of some stellar act. ... I have a heart for helping others. And when I am able to do that, I feel like I'm living the life I'm suppose to live, doing what I can to make this world a better place.

I'm grateful to recognize my own talents and passions and even more grateful for those times when I can put them to good use.

No comments:

Post a Comment