Thursday, November 18, 2010

I am called....


Today, I passed a box of Kleenex across the counter to a man who had crocodile tears coursing down his cheeks. His mother, whom he had been caring for these past years, has died.

I own and manage a mini storage facility. It's not a glamorous job. It's certainly not high-profile. I have plenty of down time and days when boredom seeks to overtake me.

I daydream about working a job that involves heart-to-heart interaction. Perhaps working for a charitable organization such as 'Doctors without Borders' or CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates). Perhaps I'm 'in the trenches' volunteering at an orphanage or working with a social services department.

Then, I have days like today when a tenant removes his mask, bares his heart, and shares life from his gut. I can listen, without judgment or agenda, and show understanding and compassion.

I'm reminded all over again that I am called no matter what I do.

And for today... it's enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment