Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Those were the days....

A cell phone conversation I had with Glynn this morning:

Glynn: 'Are you going to the store?'
Me: 'Yes.'
Glynn: 'Could you buy me something? It's called Appian Way Pizza mix. Apparently there's a can of sauce in the box and all you do is add water to the mix for the dough. Nolan swears by it. He says it's the ONLY way to make pizza.'
Me: 'You've got to be kidding me! I grew up on that stuff! I didn't know they still make it.'

Unless you were a member of the Jensen household in the late 60's and 70's, this post will leave you scratching your head & muttering, 'huh?"

Every weekend (on whatever evening The Lawrence Welk Show and The Wonderful World of Disney was shown on TV) my dad would cook an Appian Way pizza. He had a way of using the ball of his hand to inch the dough to the edge of the pizza pan without tearing a hole in it. His pepperoni slice placement was as near to perfect as could be done without using a ruler. Unfortunately, mozzarella cheese was either too gourmet or too expensive because our pizza was topped with a bland cheese. Occasionally, a can of mushrooms would be added for variety.

A huge treat with our weekly pizza was a bottle of Coke, only one apiece! We'd kneel around the coffee table in the living room where our one TV was housed. Home popped popcorn finished off the meal. (Wow! Much has changed in the decades since my childhood as not only do many kids drink more than one soda on a daily basis but they have a their own TV in their room, too.)

This tradition was nothing fancy but it evokes many good memories.



1 comment:

  1. brings back memories, as does Buon Natale which reminds me of mom and dad's christmas records! I love that song.

    ReplyDelete