Friday, January 14, 2011

Let's open our eyes

As a child, the only form of violence I remember worrying about was Myra Berry, the bully during recess.

Seriously.

Other than fretting a bit about 'stranger danger', I have no recollection about concerns regarding violence in my sheltered world.

Today, however, our children and grandchildren are facing many different forms of terrorism and I fear for their fear.

But my fear is also a generational thing. I'm sure my parents and grandparents felt fearful for their offspring who had to survive in a world whose course was set on disaster.

My generation certainly learned to cope with challenges that my parent's generation did not experience.

I'm encouraged by the words of a little 10 year old boy, spoken this week in the aftermath of the Tucson shootings. He said, "Gabby opened her eyes. Now we need to open ours."

The next generation will get it figured out. As will the next.

And so it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment